Level Counter

Story: 60, Challenge: 0.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Bugs in motion

I've spent time listening to some interesting indie game presentations and one sentence really stuck with me: "content is what kills you as an indie". Considering I've spent the better part of my development time on Pachinguys levels. I can definitely relate. Luckily as the effort of level making continues I find myself creating levels that push and abuse the underlying engine. And as a result flush out many new bugs for me to squash. This week saw two "game breaking" bugs fixed. Both relating to the interplay of fans, portals and triggers:

- When stepping off a peg where a) updraft is present and b) a portal is just below the Pachinguy. The Pachinguy now floats up instead of teleporting (see the situation in the attached image).

- If said Pachinguy then hits a trigger from below, and losses his updraft, the trigger now un-triggers correctly (previously the trigger would think it’s still active).


As you can see I've taken the call for harder levels to heart, doing my best to create complex, non obvious levels. So while, yes, content is the major bottleneck in Pachinguys. I'm quite pleased with how it’s progressing. I continue to stand my ground against automated level generation and introducing "just for one level" mechanics. I do believe I will reach my 60-10 level goal without breaking these guidelines. I may choose to introduce one or two new components to the "machine" but as for now the currently available components provide me with plenty to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment